Thursday, June 3, 2010

Toning Up



Tone.

A lot of times, when doing a piece of writing, it is all too easy to become lost in the sea of things that we need to be aware of: the content, the tense form, the vocabulary, the sentence structures, the punctuation, the paragraphing... From my own experience (to be more specific, from what I remember of my pre-test), not enough attention is paid to the tone of the piece of writing (or even identifying what the tone should be), especially when it is a formal piece of writing.

And even if, on the odd occasion, I do remember to consciously pay attention to the formality and tone, there are bound to be slips, for example a personal pronoun here and there or some phrasal verbs sprinkled throughout; and before the class on tone, I didn't even know that all phrasal verbs reflect a certain magnitude of informality!

I think the class served to raise my awareness of tone for different pieces of writing and what to look for when trying to write a formal letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment